To save time and ensure you have all of the information you need, this page offers several resources to help you do business in Yountville and Napa County. We hope that the information contained on this page will direct you in becoming a successful business leader in the Napa Valley.



Yountville Business License: The Town of Yountville requires that every person, firm, corporation, partnership or other business organization conducting business within the Town to obtain a business license. All appropriate and necessary entitlements (i.e., Conditional Use Permit) must be obtained prior to obtaining a business license.

How to Apply for a Business License

  1.  Complete the Business License Application
  2. Attach a check made payable to the Town of Yountville or call Town Hall to pay by credit card at (707) 944-8851.
  3. Include a copy of your Worker’s Compensation Insurance.
  4. Completed applications and accompanying materials can be mailed to:Town Hall
    6550 Yount Street
    Yountville, CA 94599

To obtain information about sales tax requirements, please visit our sales tax page.


Start-Up Workshop: About once a month, the Napa-Sonoma Small Business Development Center holds a 3-hour “Business Start-Up Orientation” in our area. Click here to find the next workshop on their calendar.

Choosing a Business Structure: When starting a business, one of the decisions you’ll make is which form of business entity to establish. The local chapter of SCORE has resources on business formation and mentors who can review options with you.

Your Business Location: Before your sign a lease, be sure to find out about zoning, permits, signage, and other issues related to the location of your business. Information about permits, searchable by type of business, can be found on the State’s CalGold website.

Fictitious Business Name: If you plan to use a fictitious business name (something other than your personal legal name), contact the Napa County Clerk at 1127 1st St Suite A, Napa, or by calling (707) 253-4105. The County Clerk’s staff will also be able to provide you with a Fictitious Business Name Statement form.

Seller’s Permit: If your business involves selling or leasing merchandise, you will need a Resale Number from the State Board of Equalization. Click here for FAQs. You may be able to register online with eReg. You can also contact the State Board’s regional office in Fairfield at (707) 427-4800.

Alcohol Sales: Alcohol sales require special permitting. First check with the Planning Department (if you are locating in the town limits) or Planning Building & Environmental Services (in the unincorporated area) to determine if the zone your site is in allows alcohol sales. Then, contact the State’s Alcohol Beverage Control Board to apply for a license.

Federal and State Identification Numbers: If this is the first time you’ve hired an employee, you may want to meet with your tax specialist to understand your responsibilities as an employer. If you are planning to employ one or more persons, you must apply for a State Employer’s Identification Number; information is available from the State’s Employment Development Department. You can get your Federal Identification Number at the IRS website .


Created in 1953, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) continues to help small business owners and entrepreneurs pursue the American dream. SBA is the only cabinet-level federal agency fully dedicated to small business and provides counseling, capital, and contracting expertise as the nation’s only go-to resource and voice for small businesses.

SBA – What we Do



The State of California has implemented a statewide sales tax exemption on manufacturing equipment or R&D equipment purchases by companies engaged in manufacturing or biotechnology research and development.  Businesses may be allowed to exclude the first $200 million in equipment purchases from the state share of sales tax (4.19%).

Other State incentives include the California Competes Tax Credit for businesses that want to come to California or stay and grow in California.  Contact the Chamber for details. A summary of business incentives offered by the State of California is available at the GoBiz website.


Yountville & Napa’s local banks can provide information on various lending programs, including SBA loans.  Click here for a fact sheet on the types of loans available via the SBA. Banks will typically be looking for the “5 C’s” in loan applicants.

Staff at the Bay Area Small Business Finance (BASBF), which offers an SBA Community Advantage loan of up to $250K.

Industrial Development Bond (IDB) financing is a tool for small to medium sized California manufacturers and processors looking to purchase land and construct a building; purchase and rehabilitate and existing building; expand an existing facility; and/or acquire new equipment.  To learn more, visit the website of the California Enterprise Development Authority.


Business Workshops

Small business workshops are offered regionally by the Solano-Napa Small Business Development Center, North Coast SCORE, and others.  A wide variety of self-paced online classes and webinars are also available. Visit each site for full schedules.

Advisory services for new and existing businesses

Free one-on-one advisory services for business start-ups are available through the mentors of the North Coast chapter of SCORE.  SCORE volunteers hold appointments locally; you can sign up online.

The professional and experienced business advisors of the Solano-Napa Small Business Development Center consult with both new and existing businesses at no charge, and can problem-solve with you on business planning, marketing, hiring staff, control of cash flow, inventory, pricing and much more.  Business advisors with various specialties (e.g. marketing, information technology, restaurants), are available. Some advisors are bilingual. If you’re a launching a new business, it’s best to first attend their New Business Start-Up Orientation workshop.  Learn more about the SBDC team and click on “sign up for services” to get started.


Emergency Preparedness

Links Providing Safety Information During a Natural Disaster

The Town of Yountville is a beautiful place to live and play but there are risks from the nature around us – wildfires, earthquakes, winter storms, and flooding. The Town strongly encourages residents, workforce, and visitors to be aware and stay informed.

Click on the links below for more detailed information on how to prepare and know what to do when a natural disaster strikes:









6484 Washington St., Suite F
Yountville, CA 94599
Monday–Friday: 9AM – 4PM
(707) 944-0904

Follow Us for More Yountville

Leadership-Circle-Logo-Template-2Yountville TownLogo